Porcelain Veneers for Misshaped Teeth
Just about everyone wants bright, white, beautiful teeth. But if you have misshaped teeth, they can detract from your overall appearance. If you are considering cosmetic dentistry treatment, you may benefit from porcelain veneers at our Ridgewood, NJ dental practice.
Here, our doctors discuss porcelain veneers for misshaped teeth. Many patients have enjoyed dramatic, beautiful results following this treatment. Read on to find out if it could be an effective solution for you.
Causes of Misshaped Teeth
Misshaped teeth can occur for a number of reasons. For example, this condition can be caused by:
- Genetics: If you have a family history of misshaped teeth, there is a good chance you will suffer from the condition as well.
- Tooth decay: As cavities progress, the decay eats through more and more of the tooth structure. Over time, this can alter the shape of the teeth.
- Bruxism: Excessive teeth grinding or clenching can wear down the teeth, making them appear short and boxy.
- Trauma: Dental injuries such as chips, cracks, and fractures can cause an uneven or unnatural appearance.
- Poor alignment: If your teeth are crooked, overlapped, gapped, or rotated, they can appear misshapen.
Why Should I Treat a Misshaped Tooth?
Most patients who seek treatment for misshaped teeth are concerned about the aesthetics of their smile. However, poorly-shaped teeth can also create unequal bite forces.
Left untreated, this condition can lead to TMJ disorder and other jaw-related issues. Therefore, correcting misshaped teeth can help enhance your appearance, improve your function, and preserve your oral health.
About Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers are crafted from medical-grade ceramic. They adhere to the front surfaces of the teeth to conceal discoloration, chips, cracks, slight misalignment, and misshaped teeth.
Generally, porcelain veneers can be placed in just two office visits. During the first appointment, the teeth are prepared and impressions are taken.
The impressions will then be sent to our dental lab where a ceramist will craft your veneers. Once they are complete, the veneers will be bonded to the teeth during a second visit at our office.
How Porcelain Veneers Can Correct Misshaped Teeth
Veneers are designed to complement your natural dental anatomy. Therefore, if you have a misshaped tooth, veneers can alter its size and shape, creating a smile with unparalleled balance and symmetry. During a consultation at our practice, one of our doctors can determine if porcelain veneers are an option for you.
Alternative Treatments for Misshaped Teeth
There are other treatment options for misshaped teeth in addition to porcelain veneers. These include:
- Dental bonding: If you have small chips or minor dental damage, these issues can often be addressed with dental bonding. This process involves the application of composite resin to the affected teeth. After hardening the resin with a curing light, the dentist shapes and polishes the tooth for a natural-looking shine.
- Dental crowns: If your tooth has sustained severe dental damage, porcelain veneers may not offer the amount of protection necessary. In these cases, tooth-colored dental crowns can be placed. These restorations enhance the shape and size of the teeth and protect your smile from further damage.
Contact Ridgewood Dental Associates Today
If you have misshaped teeth, porcelain veneers could be a viable treatment option for you. To learn more, or to schedule a visit at Ridgewood Dental Associates, contact us online or call our office at (201) 652-2474.