Quality Dental Care Can Benefit Heart Health
Many people view oral health and overall physical health as two separate things. However, studies have shown that oral and overall health are linked. This is why general dentistry services that care for the teeth and gums are so important, especially for your heart health. Just as poor oral health impacts heart health, heart disease has been shown to increase the risk of dental problems. The experienced team of dentists at Ridgewood Dental Associates understands that dental care and heart health are closely related. To learn more, contact our Ridgewood, NJ practice today.
Dental Services to Maintain Hearth Health
Good oral health is certainly not a guarantee of good heart health. However, multiple studies have suggested that there is a link between the two, so it makes sense that quality dental care can encourage good heart health. Good oral hygiene habits and professional dental care are vital to preserving good oral health and avoiding an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and heart attack. Below are some dental services that may be especially beneficial in promoting the health of the heart:
- Dental exams and cleanings: Dental exams and cleanings are the cornerstones of professional dental care and should be the foundation of any good oral hygiene routine. With regular exams and cleanings (at least twice yearly), patients can preserve the health of the teeth and gums and avoid advanced dental problems. These appointments also alert our dental team to the presence of any oral health concerns so that appropriate treatment can be administered as early as possible.
- Restorative dentistry: It is not unusual for patients to develop oral health problems, and most of these problems do not pose a major threat to the teeth or gums, as long as they are treated in a timely manner. Restorative dentistry treatments address problems such as erosion and decay so that more advanced problems, such as infection and tooth loss, do not become a problem. Studies suggest that by avoiding severe dental problems, patients can also avoid an increased risk of heart problems.
- Periodontal treatment: The most concrete link between oral health and heart health has been found in patients with gum disease. Gum disease has specifically been linked to an increased rate of heart disease and heart attack. Periodontal treatments rid the gums of infection to treat gum disease, which is clearly beneficial in promoting heart health.
Precautions for Patients with Heart Disease
Because there have been clear findings indicating that heart disease increases the risk of gum disease and other oral health problems, those patients who already suffer from heart disease must be especially vigilant about oral care. Below are some important precautions that should be taken by individuals suffering from heart disease:
- Brush and floss regularly
- Limit the intake of sugars and starches
- Schedule regular dental exams and cleanings (possibly more frequently than bi-annually)
- Schedule any recommended restorative or periodontal care as soon as possible
- Follow all doctor recommendations pertaining to heart health
At Ridgewood Dental Associates, our team of dentists is dedicated to our patient’s oral health, as well as their overall well-being. We offer a comprehensive range of dental treatments that will benefit a healthy smile and promote a healthy body. To learn more about the connection between dental care and heart health, and how we can encourage a positive relationship between the two, contact us at your earliest convenience.