How Can Teens Maintain Healthy Smiles into Adulthood?
Dental care is important at every age, especially during the teen years when they are more likely to suffer from sports-related dental damage or subject their teeth to harmful acidic foods and drinks. Practicing proper dental care as a teenager can help ensure a healthy smile into adulthood. General dentistry treatments can improve and maintain oral health to ensure teens enjoy a beautiful smile for years to come. Learn more about dental care for teens with these tips from our Ridgewood, NJ practice, Ridgewood Dental Associates.
Dental Care Tips for Teen Oral Health
If they do not practice proper dental care habits, teens are vulnerable to many oral health issues, like tooth decay, gum disease, and even tooth loss. Establishing good oral care habits early is vital to maintaining a healthy smile into adulthood. Teens can help protect their oral health by practicing these dental care tips:
- Take time to floss daily: Flossing regularly can help prevent gum disease, a leading cause of bad breath and tooth loss. Teens should floss daily, being sure to floss along the side of each and every tooth.
- Brush for a full two minutes, twice a day: Brushing the teeth is one of the most effective ways to prevent tooth decay, but many teens may not spend enough time brushing. The teeth should be brushed for a full two minutes, twice a day. Using a timed electric toothbrush or singing a two-minute song while brushing can help teens brush more thoroughly.
- Don't skip regular dental exams and cleanings: Regular dental exams and cleanings should not be skipped because they allow dentists to catch any signs of oral health issues early. In addition, professional cleanings prevent plaque and tartar buildup.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing sports: Wearing a mouth guard when playing sports can reduce sports-related dental injuries in teens.
- Limit sugary, acidic foods and drinks: Drinking multiple soft drinks a day and regularly eating sugary foods can increase the risk of tooth decay. Teens should limit, or altogether avoid, sugary, acidic foods and drinks.
Dental Treatments for Teens
The teen years are a time when most kids begin to pay attention to their appearance, including their smiles. At Ridgewood Dental Associates, we offer many aesthetically pleasing dental treatments to restore the health and appearance of damaged teeth. Some popular treatments for teens include:
- Tooth-colored fillings: Tooth-colored fillings offer a cosmetically appealing option for treating tooth decay. Custom colored to blend with the surrounding teeth, tooth-colored fillings are virtually unnoticeable, allowing teens to smile with confidence.
- Dental crowns: Severe tooth decay, teeth weakened by large fillings, or broken teeth can often be restored with dental crowns. Dental crowns completely encase damaged teeth to restore dental strength, function, and appearance.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontics treatment, whether traditional metal braces or discreet Invisalign® treatment, can correct bite issues and crooked teeth, improving patients’ confidence and dental function.
Schedule a Consultation
To schedule your next dental exam or learn more about dental care for teens, you're invited to schedule a consultation with our team at Ridgewood Dental Associates.