Porcelain Veneers Lifespan and Replacement
If you are unhappy with your smile and are looking for the most comprehensive cosmetic treatment available, porcelain veneers may be the answer. These thin shells of porcelain can correct an impressive number of dental conditions; veneers can cover cracks, mask stains, and even change the shape of your teeth. However, as you may know, veneers do not last forever, and they will eventually need to be replaced. At Ridgewood Dental Associates, we offer porcelain veneers replacement, whether you received your veneers here or elsewhere. Your cosmetic dentist can also guide you in caring for your veneers so that you can extend their lifespan for years to come.
What Are Veneers?
Veneers are custom created to match the shape and color of your teeth. When you choose veneers, your doctor will remove a thin layer of enamel from the surface of your teeth, making room for your restorations. Then he or she will take impressions of your teeth, which are sent to a state-of-the-art dental lab. When your veneers are complete, your dentist will lightly etch your teeth and apply the porcelain using dental cement.
The Lifespan of Porcelain Veneers
There is no set lifespan for dental veneers, and the amount of time they last will depend on a number of factors, including your dental health, habits, and environment. The average set of porcelain veneers lasts about 10 years. However, for some patients they may last five years, while other patients may enjoy their porcelain veneers for up to 20 years.
There are a number of steps you can take to protect your veneers and extend their lifespan:
- Practice good hygiene: This is the most important thing you can do to protect your porcelain veneers. Of course, you should brush and floss daily and make biannual visits to your dentist for thorough cleanings and exams.
- Don’t use abrasive toothpaste or toothbrushes with hard bristles: These products can scratch the shiny surface of your veneers. If you visit a new dentist, be sure to tell him or her that you have veneers.
- Drink coffee and wine in moderation, and avoid smoking: Although porcelain is stain resistant, over time these items will stain your veneers.
- Don’t bite your nails: Porcelain is very strong, but biting your nails or using your teeth to open packages can crack the veneers.
- Tell your dentist if you grind your teeth: Bruxism can put a lot of pressure on your teeth and can damage the porcelain. If you are a habitual teeth grinder, a mouth guard can protect your veneers (and your overall dental health).
Even with outstanding hygiene and maintenance, your veneers will eventually need to be replaced. At Ridgewood Dental Associates, we offer high quality veneers replacement that will maintain the integrity of your smile. However, in some cases, you may not be a candidate for veneers replacement. Nevertheless, even if new veneers are not right for you, we offer other lifelike cosmetic options that can help you maintain your beautiful smile.
Learn More about Veneers or Schedule Your Veneers Replacement
Whether you are interested in your first set of veneers or you are looking for outstanding veneers replacement, we are ready to answer your questions and provide you with the treatment you need. Contact Ridgewood Dental Associates and book your consultation today.