You don't have to live with unsightly metal fillings! Our Ridgewood cosmetic dentists offer tooth-colored inlays and onlays to restore the look and strength of damaged teeth. Read on to learn what inlays and onlays are and how they can help you.
What Are Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are a restorative treatment for teeth damaged by decay or other injury. They are used to restore the appearance and structure of the teeth while preventing further deterioration. Inlays and onlays are generally made out of tooth-colored materials, such as porcelain or composite resin, but can also be made out of gold. Porcelain and composite resin are more popular choices as they are customized to blend seamlessly with the natural shade of your teeth and can be used to replace old metal fillings for a flawless smile. Porcelain and composite resin inlays and onlays offer a durable, long lasting solution to restoring the look and function of your teeth. Though inlays and onlays are used to treat similar dental problems, they are different from one another. One major difference is that onlays are used to repair more significant damage than inlays. Here are some other differences:
- Inlays: Inlays are used to treat tooth decay that is isolated within the cusps, the bumpy structures on the biting surface of the molars.
- Onlays: Onlays are used when tooth decay or damage, like fractures, extends beyond a single cusp. Onlays may be the treatment of choice when damage is too extensive for an inlay but the tooth is not damaged enough for a dental crown; onlays are often called partial crowns.
Inlays and onlays are custom-made so treatment generally requires two dental visits. During the first dental visit, an impression is made of the damaged tooth to guide lab technicians in fabricating the restoration. Once the inlay or onlay is made, a second dental visit will be needed to bond the inlay or onlay into place. After the inlay or onlay is fitted and cemented into place, it is polished for a beautiful finish.
Why Choose Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are a great choice for tooth restoration. Not only are they more aesthetically pleasing than traditional metal fillings, they are also longer lasting. Inlays and onlays can restore the strength of your teeth and help save damaged teeth from needing extraction. Here are some other reasons to consider inlay and onlay treatment:
- Improved confidence: A beautiful smile can do wonders for your confidence. With inlays and onlays, your smile will be restored to it's original beauty.
- Durable: Inlays and onlays are more durable than traditional metal fillings.
- Restore the strength of your teeth: Inlays and onlays can help save your teeth from further deterioration, and restore their strength.
- Increased comfort: Dental decay or fractures left untreated can lead to pain, difficulty eating, and ultimately, tooth loss. Treatment with inlays and onlays can restore the function of your teeth, making eating easy and preventing further decay.
Schedule Your Treatment Today!
Don't put off necessary dental work any longer! We offer a wide range of treatment options for our patients in Ridgewood. Dental crowns, dental implants, inlays, and onlays are just a few of the restorative options available at our practice. Schedule a consultation at Ridgewood Dental Associates today.